Saturday, June 22, 2013

SKC: Cheddar swirl breakfast buns

DSCN9680 Another Smitten Kitchen Cookbook catch-up post, starting on the three recipes I made last weekend. All three were good, but this one tops my list--it's bread (yay, carbs!), cheese, and onion to make it interesting. I messed around with this recipe some: substituted 100 g. of whole-wheat flour for AP (about 1/4-1/3 of the total), scanted the sugar by maybe half (it's a savory bread dough, why use sugar?), used almond milk (that's what I had), and added the instant yeast to the dry ingredients the way I do with the weekly challah instead of dissolving it in the milk as if it were active dry. I had to add a couple of extra tablespoons of milk, probably to compensate for the whole-wheat flout, to get that point where the dough ball is sticking to the dimple in the bottom of the KitchenAid bowl. It was a very well-behaved dough--easy to roll out on a baking mat with no flour, rolled up easily with the filling in a tight spiral.

In the filling, I omitted the dill (yuck!) and added the suggested parsley as a substitute. I was surprised that the recipe called for no warm liquids besides the lukewarm melted butter--I'm used to the very-warm temps used for most instant yeast recipes. I therefore expected a slow rise (the recipe says 2 hours) and left to run errands. I was back in 2 hours, and found the dough had tripled or more--very enthusiastic rise, there. Which might have taken most of the yeast oomph, because the made-up buns didn't rise as well and ended a little flatter that I'd like. Next time, I'll use 8" round pans and see if I can get a smaller diameter, higher bun.

DSCN9671 DSCN9672 DSCN9678


Excellent breakfast bun. I'll definitely repeat this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment